What is a Firewall?
Whether you’re a Fortune 500 company or a small professional office, your business needs a firewall. As the first line of defense against hackers, firewalls act as a barrier between computers and potential threats from the internet. They’re like security guards who inspect your bag before you enter the premises. Their job is to keep suspicious data out of your network while letting safe data in.
Hardware firewalls are a type of firewall comprised of hardware (such as a router) and a bit of simple software to run, and businesses deploy them to block attacks on multiple computers. Software firewalls, on the other hand, can be installed only on individual computers and are more suitable for home users. They’re often integrated with privacy controls, web filtering, and other security features to ensure they work efficiently.
Do SMBs Need a Hardware Firewall?
Absolutely. For most small and medium businesses, it’s an indispensable frontline defense against harmful network traffic. Compared to a software firewall, it provides more robust protection, is easier to install, and works 24/7. Without one, you’re practically inviting hackers to help themselves to your sensitive data.
Xirtix Consulting can quickly and affordably install and maintain end-to-end firewall protection for your small to medium business.
Just fill out this form to get started.
Whereas software firewalls protect systems by blocking potential malicious network traffic that has already penetrated your network, hardware firewalls stop suspicious data from getting through your network. Ideally, a firewall setup would include both software and hardware firewalls to maximize security.
Should You Switch to a Hardware Firewall?
Perhaps you’re considering switching to a hardware firewall, but have the following concerns:
- “My small business is low-risk”
- Cyber criminals don’t discriminate; they send out an army of bots to corrupt the computer networks of businesses big and small. In fact, recent trends show that cyber attacks against small businesses dramatically increase every year.
- “Hardware firewalls are too expensive”
- Having weak defenses costs more. And based on a study, 60% of small businesses go out of business within six months after being attacked.
- “I already have a small business software firewall”
- Traditional cyber security techniques are no longer enough given today’s sophisticated attacks such as the WannaCry ransomware, which infected over 200,000 businesses globally in its first week.
How Managed Services Can Help
Although firewalls provide a solid foundation for your network’s security, they can’t protect you from all threats. There are different kinds of firewalls and every business has unique needs. One of the many ways we can help is to determine the right type of firewall and recommend other strategies that will provide you with comprehensive security.
Suppose your company has been hit by a series of cyber attacks. We can find out how these attacks got past your existing security systems and fortify your defenses based on your history. We supply the hardware and calibrate and manage it for you so you can focus on your core business initiatives.
Network security is an ongoing process, and ensuring your business’s safety requires more than just installing expensive security software. Get customized security solutions from Xirtix Consulting. Give us a call today.